Goucher College Library strives to provide resources and services that support the College’s distance learning community as outlined in the Middle States Commission on Higher Education’s (MSCHE) Standards for Accreditation. These include access to a library that is “adequately supported and staffed to accomplish the institution’s objectives for student learning, both on campus and at a distance.” In addition, Goucher College library recognizes the Access Entitlement Principle, as defined by the Association of College and Research Libraries’ (ACRL) Standards for Distance Learning Library Services:
Every student, faculty member, administrator, staff member, or any other member of an institution of higher education, is entitled to the library services and resources of that institution, including direct communication with the appropriate library personnel, regardless of where enrolled or where located in affiliation with the institution. Academic libraries must, therefore, meet the information and research needs of all these constituents, wherever they may be.
Goucher College Library is committed to providing services to the College’s distance learning community that are equivalent to those available on campus. The Goucher assigned email will be used to contact students regarding these services. Services include, but are not limited to:
· Remote access to all of the Library’s electronic holdings, including databases and ebooks. (Goucher username/password credentials required)
· Delivery of Goucher College Library circulating materials not available electronically.
· Assistance with non-circulating materials such as rare books, Goucher College archives, microforms, periodicals, reference series, and fragile books, when possible.
· Interlibrary Loan, available to current Goucher College faculty, staff, or students only. Interlibrary loan requests must be generated through the WorldCat or Interlibrary Loan Service links on the library home page or one of the Goucher databases. (Goucher username/password credentials required)
· Reciprocal borrowing of resources at other Baltimore Academic Library Consortium (BALC) member institutions, available to current Goucher College faculty, staff, or student only. (Goucher ID card required)
· Timely assistance with reference questions.
· Access to a Distance Learning Librarian responsible for ensuring these resources and services.
For up-to-date information on services and resources for distance learners, please view the relevant program guide at Goucher LibGuides.
For more information contact Kristen Shonborn, Online Learning/Evening Reference Librarian, (410) 337-3289, firstname.lastname@example.org.
last approved 12/2014
Goucher College Library, 1021 Dulaney Valley Road, Baltimore, MD 21204 • 410-337-6360 • Copyright © 2016. All rights reserved.