Skip to main content

Researching Baltimore

Medical Libraries and Museums in Baltimore

The oldest medical collection in Maryland was that of the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of the State of Maryland, (chirurgical was the common spelling of surgical at the time) established in 1830. www.medchi.org/about-medchi/history  The MedChi library is no longer in operation, but many of their important holdings have been transferred to the Maryland Historical Society www.mdhs.org.

Health Sciences and Human Services Library of the University of Maryland, Baltimore  www.hshsl.umaryland.edu/ Their extensive historical and special collections are described here.

Dr. Samuel D. Harris National Museum of Dentistry www.dentalmuseum.org/ features George Washington’s dentures, extraction instruments dating from the 17th century, and much more

The University of Maryland School of Nursing’s Living History Museum is one of the nation’s only museums dedicated to educating the public about the rich history and heritage of the nursing profession. http://nursing.umaryland.edu/museum

Welch Medical Library and  Institute of the History of Medicine. The Historical Collection and The Johns Hopkins University Department of the History of Medicine.  www.welch.jhu.edu/

Collections at Goucher

Selected collections in the Goucher College Archives. 

Florence B. Seibert Papers (PDF) Goucher class of 1918.   Papers, photographs, correspondence, medals, artifacts, awards, scrapbooks, and published works document the life of Florence B. Seibert, renowned research scientist who earned national recognition for her work on tuberculosis, setting the tuberculin standard for testing. 

Dorothy Stimson papers, 1890-1988  Papers, biographical materials, diaries, scrapbooks, publications, awards and photographs document the life and work of Dorothy Stimson, Goucher College Dean (1921-1947) and Professor of History (1931-1955). Stimson was a well-respected historian, particularly in the field of history of science. 

Lilian Welsh Papers (PDF)   Biographical materials, professional papers, photographs and memorabilia document the life and work of Lilian Welsh, who joined the faculty of the Woman’s College of Baltimore (later Goucher College) in 1894 as professor of anatomy, physiology, hygiene and physical training, implementing the European system of physical training at the college. While at Goucher College, Welsh served both the school and the state in education and treatment concerning the flu epidemic of 1918.  In addition to her work at Goucher, she was involved in a variety of educational and public health organizations.  

Goucher College Library, 1021 Dulaney Valley Road, Baltimore, MD 21204 • 410-337-6360 • © 2013-2017 • Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.